Friday, May 7, 2010

A Mother's Gift of Song

As we celebrate Mother's Day this week, I wanted to take a moment and reflect on some of the joys being surrounded by such a wonderful group of mothers has brought me. As a Kindermusik educator, I am frequently surrounded by the laughter of children and all the many happy sounds of a musical classroom. This past week something wonderful happened in my classroom...all the mothers started singing! I sometimes find myself singing alone or with one brave soul from the group, but this week I really noticed all the moms in all my classes really singing...and singing beautifully! What a wonderful gift of song we can give to our children.
Children are naturally in tune with the sound of the mother's voice. Even while still in the womb a baby can recognize the mother's voice. Through music we are able to reach a new and very satisfying level of communication with our children. Lullabies remain the number one tool to calm a restless child, seasonal songs enhance life's celebrations of joy and remembrance, hymns inspire us, and music surrounds our daily activities in all walks of life. Wether it's your first ABC song, a special lullaby, your first birthday song or something that's just plain hokey-pokey.....
Congratulations all you Kindermusik mothers on a job well sung!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Crystal. As I read your blog post titled "A Mother's Gift of Song" I could "hear" all of the moms singing beautifully in your classroom! Wishing YOU and all the moms in your classrooms a very HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!! Connie

    ReplyDelete